24 June 2011

Illustration Friday: Midsummer Night


Well, this weeks topic is a great one, but unfortunately I have a frustrating experience with it; a bit fraught with miscommunication. This was a poster for a theater season of Shakespeare's "A Midsummer's Night Dream" and was eventually killed. Sometimes it's those projects you work the most hard on, that end up... well... still being not worth it. I'm still waiting for my kill fee on this! :(


But, it was a fun enough project for me to try out some digital enhancements. I also had a second version that kept more of the under-drawing's grittiness.

I felt as though the first painting (above) was a bit too over manipulated and I wanted it to have a connection to the tradtional media a bit more. So I opted for a limited palette over the drawing. But, I think once again some of the soft gradients just felt a bit too polished for me.

Here's the original under-drawing, with its range of subtle texture.


Wow, sorry to be such a Debbie Downer with such a fun IF theme! I did have fun with the architecture in the piece though!

18 comments:

Isabelle said...

Beautiful!! Light is amazing. Love your entry.

kelmurphy said...

Thanks Isablle. I'm a big fan of yours!

Linda Hensley said...

We all get a pile of good projects that didn't go for one reason or another. Maybe you can find another home for this piece. Love the top version.

k.h.whitaker said...

It's a great piece, sorry they didn't use it. The lighting is awesome

kelmurphy said...

Thanks Linda and k.h.! I actually ended up selling the original on Etsy. I figured perhaps someone else might enjoy its presence, since I was DONE with it! :)

Elizabeth Parsons said...

very nice!

Jardley said...

This is wonderful. This is really really wonderful. Love the glowy houses.

Elizabeth Rose Stanton said...

It looks like you had fun...all renditions are pretty wonderful. Great manipulations.

Patti said...

Love the lighting and atmosphere of the images!

Ana M.F. said...

beautiful work, makes me wonder what's going on inside all those houses...haha, I feel like James Stewart in Rear window XD

Hi I'm Laurie... said...

It's fantastic - great lighting!

Indigene said...

Beautiful work!

Pia Drent said...

I like the underdrawing a lot though the windows are stunning in the top piece. Thanks for sharing your story!
Pia

beth said...

Hi Kelly,

I was the one who bought the original painting on Etsy! I love it so much...it is one of my favorite things! It now sits in a place of honor above my drafting table.

Beth

kelmurphy said...

Hey Beth!! That's awesome!!! Thanks so much for giving it a good home! I am truly honored.

:D

froggie is... said...

ooooo! i reeeeally like the under piece but i also love how you played with the light in the final. it is really is a good piece, kelly! i love all the tiny little peeps! "-)

maybe when you get that kill fee this christmas you can buy a nice pair of um, new uggs or something? "-))

kill fee invoice = bury me on a desk.

Robin said...

I love them all..especially the last one in the list...beautiful..!

Sarah Melling said...

Wow, these are gorgeous! Each week, it seems as if I stumble upon another fantastic artist that I'd somehow overlooked. I'm so glad I had time to browse through some entries, or I'd never have found your wonderful work!